Tuesday, August 21, 2007

New school and enthusiastic students

Just as school starts, I've been playing or otherwise working on several "Brit-like" games, something I haven't done in a long time. The trick now is to finish some rule-sets to the point that I can send some of these games to testers, as I'm not likely to get much testing of the longer ones done locally.

Local playtesting is looking up, however. I'm now at Wake Tech teaching game design, and out of about 100 students there seem to be a fair number enthusiastic about playing non-digital games (as opposed to digital games, which everyone is enthusiastic about). One of the students has taken it upon himself to apply for official club status. Although Monday was the first Monday of the term, we had an impromptu meeting and four people played versions of Law & Chaos.

1 comment:

Ian Schreiber said...

In my experience, the vast majority of digital game design students are interested in non-digital boardgames as well... they just don't all know it yet.

Try introducing them to Settlers of Catan and see how many of them suddenly develop a new interest in cardboard.